Friday, June 26, 2015

CCN Alphabet - Sharing What I'm Learning About Supporting Students with Complex Communication Needs


It's hard to believe another year has come and gone. There were many times this year when I sat down to write a blog post but then the words just didn't seem to come.  It wasn't that there was nothing to write, but perhaps more than so many of the things that I have been thinking about for the last few years starting to become consolidated in practice and in the time I wanted more to step back and experience it and let it evolve rather than to wrap too many words around it. 

When I adopted my son 16 years ago, I knew that we were beginning a "special needs journey" but I did not know that we were also beginning a "complex communication needs journey". In those early days, I imagined a very different life for both him and I as his childhood years have unfolded.  

When I made the decision to move from "general" to "special" education 9 years ago, I also knew I was on a new journey, but, again, I was unable to imagine what parts of that journey would become my North Star. 

There are events that stand out now looking back but more so then the events, what stands out is a deepening awareness of how our knowledge evolves; How the way we see things changes as what we know and experience changes.  

Up until five years ago, the work I was doing around communication with students with complex communication needs was pretty restricted to things like sign language, PECs, eye-gaze boards with only single layers, yes/no choices...etc. The work we were doing around "literacy" with this population was also restricted mostly to "literacy experiences" but we dabbled a bit in sight word reading programs. The school experiences of the students that I worked with were also restricted a majority of the time by the walls of our self-contained classroom. 

The journey began with feelings of discomfort that I could not put my finger on, and then opportunities began to open up - a 2-day PODD training by Linda Burkhart, Literacy and AAC courses by Karen Erickson and David Koppenhaver, Communication and Literacy workshops by Caroline Musslewhite, taking my Masters in Inclusive Education and Neuroscience, support from some to educational practice away from a self-contained classroom and toward supported inclusion in age-appropriate general education settings, Alberta's Literacy for All initiatives...etc. Through it all, the awareness of importance of literacy, language, and communication in reference to a person's autonomy and quality of life has grown.  

In the middle of this growing awareness are explorations on how to make it all happen...which leads to more learning and more awareness. We have, by no stretch of the imagine, figured it all out. I'm pretty sure we have still just only seen the very tip of the iceberg.  But we are also making progress and learning a few things along the way.

This summer, I want to do a series of blog posts and share what I (as a result of many interactions with students, parents and professionals) have been learning and thinking about supporting students with complex communication needs (CCN).  I thought to frame it in an alphabet style and do 26 posts - one for each letter of the alphabet - sharing these thoughts.  Tomorrow, I will start with A...

-------------------------------------------------
Links to Completed Posts in this Series
-------------------------------------------------
B is for Behaviour
C is for Communication Process
D is for Descriptive Language
E is for Engagement
F is for Facilitators
G is for Generative Language
H is for "Helping"
I is for Inclusion
J is for "Just in Time"
K is for Keyboard
L is for Language of Control
M is for Motivation
N is for Narrative Development
O is for Opportunities
P is for Play
Q is for Qualified (Presume Competence)
R is for Robust Language System
S is for Self-Determination
T is for Talk About
U is for Urgency
V is for Visual Supports
W is for Wellness
X is for Fix (Communication Repair)
Y is for Yelling
Z is for Zone of Proximal Development
-------------------------------------------------

12 comments:

  1. I understand this column. I realize You put a many of struggle to found this story. I admire your process. https://igraphicbox.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Southwest Medical University (SWMU) is a comprehensive institution for higher education understudies. The university provides undergraduate and graduates programs for students. It is valuable information and I like it so much thanks for the query Call us at 9718417575 or visit website Get Admission Abroad for more information regarding the Advantages in Southwestern University

    ReplyDelete
  3. After being in relationship with Wilson for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that don’t believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I meant a spell caster called Dr Zuma zuk and I email him, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +15068001647
    you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything. CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's one of the best blogs i have came through, Best Language Communication Software provider, Lainlab offers multimedia language lab software equipment for student benefit and training. Visit our website for classroom management software.
    digital language lab software

    ReplyDelete
  5. We offered custom suitcase boxes which is the top way to extent fragrance. Free strategy and shipping in worldwide!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a testimony that I will tell everyone in the world. i have been married for 4 years and on the fifth year of my marriage, another woman had a spell to take my lover away from me and my husband left me and the kids and we have suffered for 2 years until i meant a post where this man Zuma Zuk have helped someone and i decided to give him a try to help me bring my love Husband home and believe me i just send my picture to him and that of my husband and after 48 hours as he have told me after doing everything he asked me to do, i saw a car drove into the house and behold it was my husband and he have come to me and the kids and that is why i am happy to make everyone of you in similar case to meet with this man and have your marriage fixed His email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com whatsapp him on this +15068001647..... thank so much Zuma Zuk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK.

    This is my testimony of life that I will tell everyone. I have been married for 25 years Another woman had a spell to get me away from my lover, My husband left me and the children and we suffered for 2 years until I saw post about where this man Dr Omokpo has helped so many people recover their broken marriages and relationships to get their ex lovers back and I decided to give him a message about my family and how my husband left me for him to help me bring back my loving husband home, This great man told me what to do and I followed him as he instructed. After 48 hours, as he told me, I saw a car enter the house. I was shocked when I saw my husband. He came back to me and the kids and that's why I'm happy to put all of you in the same situations to meet this man and bring your lover back to you and mend your broken marriage or your restored relationship back to happiness as you wished. Contact this great man on: dromokpo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This blog is right on target. I've enjoyed reading your posts and hope to see more.
    Thanks & Regards
    Compare Best Mortgage Rates in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  9. You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about an hour. I am a newbie and your success is very much an inspiration for me.
    Thanks & Regards
    BEST MORTGAGE RATES IN ALBAN

    ReplyDelete
  10. You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about an hour. I am a newbie and your success is very much an inspiration for me.
    Thanks & Regards

    BEST MORTGAGE RATES IN ALFRED

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this blog, it's a really wonderful article, keep sharing such blogs.
    deepen your insight

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing such informative post. Best stress reduction e-Course and e-books provider offers the most effective awakening transformation programs & courses. Our course includes mindfulness based stress reduction exercises for teens, adults, kids and groups. Call today!.
    meditation and mindfulness

    ReplyDelete